Local Governing Board
St Edmund’s Girls’ School became part of a multi-academy trust called Magna Learning Partnership on 1st April 2017, together with Wyvern College and The Trafalgar School at Downton.
Each school in Magna Learning Partnership has a Local Governing Board (LGB) which provides focused governance at a local level. Membership of each LGB includes at least two parents, together with staff and community representation. LGBs are committees of the Magna Learning Partnership Board of Trustees.
Key Purpose – to enable strong leadership to ensure excellent teaching and learning within the academy, to protect the individual ethos of the school and to monitor and challenge performance of the school.
Composition of the Local Governing Board
|Governor Name||End Term of Office Date||Governor Type|
|1.||Mrs Jo Broom||06.09.19||Governor – Foundation|
|2.||Miss Linda Knapp||31.05.20||Governor – Foundation|
|3.||Prof John Squire||30.09.20||Governor – Foundation|
|4.||Mrs Claire Reavill||11.12.20||Governor / Chair of Board|
|5.||Mrs Emma Adams||02.09.18||Parent Governor|
|6.||Mrs Helen Adams||02.09.18||Parent Governor|
|7.||Mr Barry Lewis||05.09.21||Parent Governor|
|8.||Mrs Emma Mabey||05.09.21||Parent Governor|
|9.||Mr Martyn Jones||01.09.18||Governor|
|10.||Mrs Nicola Bull||Staff – Ex Officio|
|Clerk||Mr John Inman|
The role of the Local Governing Board is to:
- Enable strong leadership in teaching and learning within the school by providing support and challenge to the leadership team within the context of the MLP Strategic Plan in so far as it relates directly to the individual school and its School Development Plan.
- Promote the individual ethos and values of the school and the wider ethos of the trust within the local community
- Monitor and evaluate school performance against agreed targets
- Provide oversight, monitoring and challenge of the school budget
- Set up, approve and review LGB sub committees and their terms of reference
- Act as a conduit for concerns, recommendations and sharing success between the local community and the Trust
- Determine the individual school admissions policy (in line with the overarching MLP Admissions Policy)
- Sit on panels for the recruitment of staff (in the case of recruitment of a Headteacher in conjunction with the Exec Headteacher and a member of the Standards Committee)
- Sit on panels to support the Headteacher in making decisions on admissions, exclusions, disciplinary and grievance issues,
- Along with a member of the Standards Committee and the Exec Headteacher, the LGB Chair will support the Headteacher during an Ofsted inspection and for Church Schools during a SIAMs inspection
- The LGB Chair will support the designated lead safeguarding officer in the event of any safeguarding disclosure and provide support in ensuring that safeguarding policy is adequate and observed within the school, including carrying out internal audits.