We have been constantly monitoring reputable weather forecasts and we find ourselves in a difficult position. An amber weather warning (potential risk to life and property) has been issued by the Met Office for Thursday and Friday with heavy snow and high winds expected. However, we may not wake up to see this tomorrow morning as the storm could start anytime between 6am – 10am and last throughout the day and into Friday.
We are very aware that many students rely on public transport to get to and from school and we are in regular contact with the bus companies as they assess whether they can run a full service tomorrow afternoon. We are constantly reviewing the situation and it may well be that we take a decision to close the schools even if there is no snowfall first thing in the morning. This decision will be based on concerns regarding the safeguarding of students both at school and on their journeys. Closing by 7am would avoid the late-in-the-day collection chaos that may ensue if the storm comes, as forecast, later in the day and the schools are forced to close early.
Please see the information that we sent out yesterday regarding school closure and check the school website from 7am for news.
Nicola Bull Andy Bazen
St Edmund’s Girls’ School Wyvern College