Design Technology

Key Stage 3

 All students have the opportunity to explore and experiment with a variety of different materials through Design and Make tasks in Food / Textiles / Resistant Materials / Electonics / Graphics.  They are encouraged to develop creative and thinking skills and to develop attitudes of curiosity, enquiry, initiative, ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Key Stage 4

Students can opt to study Textiles and Catering at GCSE.

Textiles

Students produce a portfolio of Design and Make tasks which account for 60% of the final grade, with the remaining 40% achieved through final examination.  Study covers many mini-projects addressing construction skills, application of colour, texture and shape to fabrics and the all-important recycled and sustainable issues surrounding textiles and fashion.

Catering

Students at GCSE follow the WJEC specification, which covers catering skills relating to food preparation and service.  This is a course which will appeal to students who enjoy practical work and classes include cooking most weeks.

Enrichment

After school clubs include Cooking, Felt Making, Sewing Club and Fun with Materials.