ICT

Key Stage 3

ICT has discrete subject status and all classes are taught by ICT specialists who offer a wide and varied curriculum in line with the changing world of computing. Students start by enhancing their previously taught basic skills to allow the staff to set a baseline for assessment before moving on to use more advanced skills in Computing, Programming, Web Design and  Multimedia Presentations including Animation and Podcasting. Each skill is taught through a variety of assignments allowing students to plan, design and analyse their work to a given criteria.

Key Stage 4

ICT is offered as an option subject and students follow the Edxcel GCSE ICT10 2IT01 or Cambridge Nationals Level 2 Specification. These specifications offer our students the chance to experience real life scenarios in order to become knowledgeable users of ICT.

The Edxcel GCSE ICT10 course is split into two units: Unit 1- Living in a Digital World and Unit 2 – Using Digital Tools.  Unit 1 makes up 40% of the final grade and will be assessed by a 90 minute written exam.  Unit 2 makes up the remaining 60% of the final grade and will be assessed by practical controlled assessment tasks over a 40 hour time allocation during Key Stage 4.

The Cambridge Nationals content is built into four strands – Business Information, Creative, Technical and a final student-initiated project. There are two compulsory units and two optional units plus a 20% external assessment to be complete within the 120 hours guided learning time.