Special Educational Needs (SEND)

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Wyvern St Edmund’s follows the statutory guidance set out in the Department for Education and Department for Health’s SEND Code of Practice (2014). If you wish to discuss any SEND matters please contact one of the school’s SEND Coordinators. Their contact details are below.

We have a dedicated team who have excellent relationships with the students they support to ensure they flourish.

Click HERE  for our SEND Policy and Information 2020/2021

SEND Co-ordinator

Mrs Sharon Rideout srideout@wyvernsteds.org

Leaflets for Parents/Carers
Following research and discussion with SENCOs, Wiltshire Council has decided to continue to produce a series of leaflets, but to try to reduce the numbers printed by focusing foremost on electronic communication.

  • Electronic Information: Detailed information about SEN can be found on the Wiltshire Council website: http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/schoolseducationandlearning/specialeducationalneeds.htm.  Leaflets for parents can also be downloaded from Wiltshire Wisenet:  http://wisenet.wiltshire.gov.uk/documents/dsweb/View/Collection-1500 .
  • Paper Copies: Paper copies of leaflets listed below are still available on request from the Central SEN Service at Wiltshire Council (01722 718095).
    – Special Educational Needs: What does it mean?
    -Jargon Buster.
    -School Action and School Action Plus: A guide for parents and carers.
    -The Annual Review.
    -Travel Assistance: a guide for parents/carers of children and young people with a statement of SEN.
    -Early Years and Special Educational Needs (revised April 2010).
    -Transferring to secondary school: a guide for parents and carers.
    Ask Parent Partnership Service.


Leaflets updated/replaced: Please note that the information previously contained in ‘Parents’ contribution to Statutory Assessment’ is now included in information sheets, which are automatically sent to appropriate parents and carers along with Statutory Assessment documentation. The information contained in ‘What is a Statutory Assessment?’ is provided in much more detail in the Department for Education leaflet ‘SEN: A guide for Parents and Carers’. Again, this is automatically sent out to parents/carers at the start of the Statutory Assessment process. It is also available from the Department for Education on 0845 602 2260.

The information contained in ‘Working together to plan for your child’s future’ is contained in the new (and much more detailed) guide ‘Transition to adult life: a guide for parents/carers of young people aged 13-25 with a disability/special educational needs’. This is available on the Wiltshire Council website, as above.